Advice from someone who has been in your shoes
  Search entire web
Supervised Visitation Directory
Return to list of questions Return to topic groups
Mother lost custody of son to paternal grandmother - what can she do to regain custody?

Your Question:
I lost custody of my son in December, I have supervised visitation and the paternal great grandmother who has custody does every thing she can to keep me from seeing my son. She has gone as far as to file false reports on me, lie in court, and make complaints to my employers to cause me to loose my job. She has even stated that i abused and neglected my son. She has more money and a better lawyer. The judge favors her. How do i go about regaining custody of my son?

Need a Supervised Visitation Provider?
Try the Supervised Visitation Directory - Over 1500 providers listed by state.

My Answer:

I don't know much about any of the details of your case from the above.

There is likely one of two things happening here:

1. You really are as awful as she describes, or

2. You have been ineffectively represented in court.

You're claiming it's the latter, so I'll respond to that.

First, get the book "Win Your Child Custody War." You need to know how to play the game of family law in a way that influences the court.

Second, get the book "Elusive Innocence", which deals with false accusations.

Third, locate an aggressive family law attorney who has at least 10 years experience in the county of the courthouse.

See if you can get the court to order custody evaluations, including psych exams. If you're not messed up, then the grandmother is. Such evaluations would favor you.

Finally, consider taking a polygraph as to the specific allegations made by the mother. You can give the results of the polygraph to the custody evaluator, but not to a court. It's not admissible in court, but a custody evaluator isn't bound by rules of evidence.

You can read more about those books at my Recommended Books page.

Good luck.


This website gives common sense advice that is not intended to act as legal guidance nor psychological guidance. The author is neither an attorney nor licensed psychologist. For specific legal guidance or specific psychological guidance, consult with a licensed professional.

© 2005 ~ 2022 All Rights Reserved.