Advice from someone who has been in your shoes
  Search entire web
Supervised Visitation Directory
Return to list of questions Return to topic groups
Noncustodial father wants to know how to see daughter after mother moved away with her

Your Question:
Ex-wife made many false accusation about ex-husband and his kids from a previous marriage. They have joint custody of a 7-year old dauhgter and she moved out-of-state. he pays child-support each month still, even though he doesn't see her. What can ex-husband do to make sure he doesn't have to pay a fortune just to see his daughter?

Custody and visitation problems? We can help. can help you win custody, change custody, or reduce child support. Recommended by mediators and therapists and used every day by thousands of parents and families worldwide.

My Answer:

Your husband must pay any child support that was ordered by a court.

The time to address this situation would have been before the move occurred, or at the time of the move if he didn't have advanced notice.

If the current court orders on the parenting schedule are no longer realistic, given the distance between the parents, the parents must either come to a new agreement, or the father must file an action to modify the custodial arrangement.

He can request that the mother bear responsibility for travel expenses, or it may be possible in your state to have the child support offset somewhat by the travel expenses.

If he doesn't know how to proceed in court, he needs to get an attorney if he wants a relationship with this child.


This website gives common sense advice that is not intended to act as legal guidance nor psychological guidance. The author is neither an attorney nor licensed psychologist. For specific legal guidance or specific psychological guidance, consult with a licensed professional.

© 2005 ~ 2022 All Rights Reserved.