Advice from someone who has been in your shoes
  Search entire web
Supervised Visitation Directory
Return to list of questions Return to topic groups
Custodial mother wants to move 2000 miles away with young son; will court will override father's disagreement?

Your Question:
I am the custodial parent of our 5 year old son. We never got married, we were just together for about 8 years. Of course we have both moved on, he now has another son & lives with his girlfriend. I recently got engaged to a man in the army and he is stationed in Virginia. I let my ex know that I planned on moving to Virginia as soon as he gets back from Iraq. From what I have heard he is going to try and keep me from taking our son out of Texas. What should I do and what would be my chances of being able to move?

Custody and visitation problems? We can help. can help you win custody, change custody, or reduce child support. Recommended by mediators and therapists and used every day by thousands of parents and families worldwide.

My Answer:

I'm a strong advocate that when there are two healthy, involved parents in a child's life, those parents should remain in the same city until the child is 18. Sorry, it's just part of the price of having a kid with someone.

I don't know any further details about your relationship with the father or his relationship with the child, so I don't think I can really say anything else.


This website gives common sense advice that is not intended to act as legal guidance nor psychological guidance. The author is neither an attorney nor licensed psychologist. For specific legal guidance or specific psychological guidance, consult with a licensed professional.

© 2005 ~ 2012 All Rights Reserved.