Advice from someone who has been in your shoes
  Search entire web
Supervised Visitation Directory
Return to list of questions Return to topic groups
Never married custodial mother opposes father's desire for more time with young child

Your Question:
I'm an unmarried mother of a 4 year boy. My ex is petitioning for more time with his son. He currently has 3 nights a week (Thur-Sun evening) alternate weeks and Wed/Thurs on the other weeks. I feel this is a good amount of time and he often cancels visits anyway. He is asking for Wed-Mon every other week and Wed-thurs on off weeks. The original court order is Thur and friday returning sat evening, but I have been modifying this and accomodating more days as he has asked. I'm uncomfortable with a small child being away from me for essentially 6 days at a time. He has never really known the routine to be any other way than what it is, and it works for both he and I.

We live in Los Angeles and the father is getting married. I remain single. Not sure if that would have any bearing.

Custody and visitation problems? We can help. can help you win custody, change custody, or reduce child support. Recommended by mediators and therapists and used every day by thousands of parents and families worldwide.

My Answer:

Well, that's a nice story. You didn't ask a single question.

If he's petitioning to modify the parenting plan, and you oppose it, then you file a response stating why you oppose it.

The only thing I'll emphasize is to keep your personal feelings and needs out of it.

For example, you say that you're uncomfortable with a small child being away from you for 6 days.

The court really doesn't care what makes you uncomfortable. The judge will (theoretically) rule in what is best for the child.

So, you need to argue your case as to what is best for the child and WHY.

Finally, unless the new wife is a threat to the child, the marriage is largely irrelevant to the case.


This website gives common sense advice that is not intended to act as legal guidance nor psychological guidance. The author is neither an attorney nor licensed psychologist. For specific legal guidance or specific psychological guidance, consult with a licensed professional.

© 2005 ~ 2012 All Rights Reserved.