Advice from someone who has been in your shoes

Parenting Plans - by CustodyIQ


In most cases, the only way supervised visitation occurs is by order of a judge. While it's possible to include it in a parenting plan that both parents sign, it's not likely that a parent would be willing to agree to supervised visitation for himself or herself.

Supervised visitation occurs when a parent has demonstrated some degree of threat, gross neglect, debilitating mental illness that is not being controlled by treatment (e.g., untreated schizophrenia), drug addiction, alcohol addiction, or violence. A very small percent of parents are ordered to have supervised visitation.

Supervised visitation can occur at an agency or organization that offers such a service. It can also occur under the supervision of a third party -- such as a relative -- who generally must agree in writing to follow the law and court orders with regards to the supervised visitation.

If your co-parent is a bit of a jerk, but does not pose any danger that could ever put the children in a hospital through abuse or neglect, or could ever expose the children to people who would be dangerous... you likely will not succeed in securing supervised visitation. Just pursuing this route WILL increase the animosity between parents, so carefully ponder whether you even wish to raise it.

If you are not a danger to yourself or your kids, and if you've never committed any act that could be viewed as being dangerous, never agree to supervised visitation for yourself unless a court forces it on you. Regardless of how desperate you are to see the kids, the ramifications of agreeing to supervised visitation will be huge.


NOTE: I've found what I consider to be two very good sources for high-quality parenting plans. One offers a set of downloadable plans that you can modify, the other lets you create a parenting plan online and modify it.

Both of the sites above have the same 'parent' company and have the same plans. The only difference is that the online version also lets you share revisions with guests (your ex, your attorney, etc). This may or may not be useful, depending on your circumstances.

This website gives common sense advice that is not intended to act as legal guidance nor psychological guidance. The author is neither an attorney nor licensed psychologist. For specific legal guidance or specific psychological guidance, consult with a licensed professional.

© 2005 - 2008 All Rights Reserved.